Therapeutic Arts Practioner Program
Therapeutic Arts Practitioner & Master Practitioner Program
What is TAPPs?
Therapeutic Art Practitioner Program aka TAPPs is a deep exploration of creativity, connecting you with your unique visual intelligence while building skill in the techniques of therapeutic arts. You will learn and understand the impact of creativity and art-making on the brain in this experiencial training program.
Apply these new techniques and modalities to your own life or when working with clients and community members in your professional life.
TAPP’s is not intended to certify you as an art therapist, but the experiential components offer practical techniques to enrich your existing clinical or teaching practice, or simply to apply to your own creative process. If you are already using art in your practice, TAPP’s will assist you in understanding the vibrancy and healing power in the art process.
NOTE: A TAPPs and TAMPs graduates may be able to apply their certification to an application for the Clinical Art Therapy Diploma program. Contact Enrollment for more details.
- Is as effective with clients and patients who have no background in art as well as those who do. You do not have to be an artist or therapist to use these techniques, modalities, and knowledge.
- Will give you tools to enhance your work with clients by offering a new avenue for you and your clients to express themselves.
- Will guide you in assessments and develop your own art techniques that are appropriate for your individual clients and for groups.
Each Professional Development Program is tailored to a specific audience and taught by faculty who are clinically experienced with that group.
Clinical, therapeutic applications
TAPP’s Applications Clinical, therapeutic applications You will learn specific techniques and modalities to work with your students, clients and patients in your own profession. Community applications, such as arts-based education, body work, ministry and coaching You will learn specific techniques to work with communities and groups where healing arts are practised
- Hospitals (e.g., CiiAT outpatient program at Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria, Canada) and nursing homes
- community mental health centers, shelters, prisons
- early childhood programs, special schools
Reinforcement of knowledge or to learn new skills: Art Therapists, psychologists, therapists, teachers, coaches or parents. Self-care, intentional creativity, and personal growth. What energizes you? What creative techniques will you integrate into your life? Exploration of a career change? This course is ideal for those that are artists or complete beginners to the field of healing arts considering a career change to become an Art Therapist.
Therapeutic Art Practitioner Program level includes four modules delivered Live-on-Line. Students successfully completing all four modules are granted The Therapeutic Arts Practitioner Certificate©.
Therapeutic Art Master Practitioner Program includes three additional modules delivered Live-on-Line. Students successfully completing all three modules are granted The Therapeutic Arts Master Practitioner Certificate©.
As we come to understand the impact of creativity and art-making on the brain, we increasingly see the importance of incorporating the arts into everyday life. For people of all ages dealing with health and mental health issues, the therapeutic arts can deepen and enhance their healing process.
Therapeutic Arts Practitioner Certification
- Become familiar with the therapeutic use of the arts
- Identify the role art plays in the healing process
- Become familiar with recent research on the arts and the brain
- Practice and apply basic techniques across a variety of client populations
Graduates of all four modules receive the Therapeutic Arts Practitioner Certification TAPP’s Programs are currently available Live-on-Line online; and on in-person in Victoria, Canada or at our sister schools in Bangkok, Thailand; Tokyo, Japan.
Module 1: Introduction to Therapeutic Arts
- Creativity and the Brain
- Understanding arts-based healing principles and their applicability
- individual, dyadic and group applications
Module 2: The Media Continuum
- Two dimensional and three- dimensional work, large and small: Playing with form and size, including symbolism
- Contained versus fluid-understanding the range of media and its impact on the emotional and somatic experience
- Media and play: the importance of process over product in relation affective expression
Module 3: Group and Community Arts
- Engaging community in art making
- Find ourselves with found objects, holy junk and art hives!
- Community studios: do’s and don’ts
Module 4: Mindfulness and contemplation in the arts
- Rituals and aesthetics in art-making: why ritual elevates the artistic process
- “Inside out”: contemplative arts-based activities to foster mindfulness in daily life
- Ritual Mandala Painting: moving deeper into presence
Advanced Training Master Practitioner
- Understand and identify themes in clients’ art;
- Identify red flags in clients’ art (and what do to with them);
- Learn to create individualized techniques for individual clients;
- Create activities, themes and goals for client groups; and
- Know when the client should be referred to an Art Therapist.
Graduates of all seven modules receive the Therapeutic Arts Master Practitioner Certification
Module 5: Realigning relationships
- Early childhood: Attachment, Attunement and Adaptation
- Adolescents: Shifting attachment to the peer group.
- Adults: RE creating the attachment paradigm in adult relationships
- Aging population: Living and dying with purpose, and staying connected to community.
Module 6: On the Spectrum
- Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Developing an interactive art template for supporting the ASD client
- Incorporating therapeutic arts into Greenspan’s floor time model to focus on imaginative play, creativity and building initiative.
Module 7: Shifting the PTSD paradigm
- Lusebrink’s model (2010) -Neurodevelopment and arts therapies
- Drawn by Experience: Interacting with art and film depicting traumatized experiences
- Drawn by Experience, Part 2: Exteriorizing emotions through art connected to trauma
Tuition Fees (click here for more)
For TAPPs courses:
The first 4 TAPPs courses are $695 CAD per module.
For TAMPs courses:
The following 3 TAMPs courses are $995 CAD per module.